The Crawford Market occupied an important position in Mumbai as it stood at the transition point between the Fort precinct and the inner city beyond. It was set up with the support of the city's first Municiple Commissioner Arthur Crawford, and was designed by Lockyard Kipling, in 1865.
The Crawford Market now renamed after Mahatma Jyotiba Phule, the eminent social reformer. The structure is a mix of Flemish and Moorish styles.
Crawford Market looks like something out of Victorian London, with its sweet smell of hay and 50 ft high skylit awning that bathes the entire place in natural sunlight.
It covers 60,200 square meters and has a large central hall and two wings with rows of fish, meats, vegetables, fruits provision stalls and cutlery.